The bird named „Hadnagy” received its tag in the summer of 2017. The tag was working until the middle of last month, but we haven’t received any signal for the past few weeks. We started to worry that the bird died at the southern Sahara, but luckily tha tag started to send data again 2 days ago. We were exceptionally happy to see that “Hadnagy” is in Turkey already, taking the same route as he did in the autumn, instead of the usual loop migration.
We’ve finished designing and printing the information boards for the educational trail a long time ago, however we needed to wait months before they can be installed. Late winter frosty soil held us back at the beginning, and then melting snow and plenty of rain in the early spring created standing water, making many of the installation areas inaccessible.
The logging of the invasive oleaster trees (Elaeagnus angustifolia) in the project sites of the southern Great Plain of Hungary started as part of the ‘C1 – Restoring steppe habitats’ project action. The aim of the action is to create ideal roller foraging habitat by demonstrative habitat restoration.
Responding to the call for the 12th national survey, we started checking the medium voltage electric lines of the Borsodi-mezőség. As a consequence of former LIFE projects and a tremendous amount of effort, all the pole tops we checked had already been insulated. Even better, in some areas, aerial power lines are substituted with ground lines.